Organizations that are helping the victims of Hurricane Irma, and how to donate
1. Donors Choose has a dedicated Irma fund to help teachers rebuild
Donate here: https://www.donorschoose.org/hurricane-irma
2. Feeding South Florida is a food bank accepting donations!
Donate here: https://feedingsouthflorida.org/donate-now/
3. The South Florida Wildlife Center is accepting donations, as well.
4. Volunteer Florida has a dedicated disaster fund, and is the official state fund.
Donate here: https://www.volunteerflorida.org/donatefdf/
5. Best Friends Animal Society has a dedicated Irma page.
Portal/donation page here: https://bestfriends.org/hurricane-irma
6. GoFundMe has a dedicated Irma Fund, but has also aggregated Irma fundraisers. (Please remember to research!)
Donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/raise-funds/Irma
7. Center for Disaster Philanthropy has a dedicated Irma fund, and is partnering with Google.
8. If you’re an @airbnb host w/ a home in the Florida Panhandle, Northern Georgia, NW/SE South Carolina, donate your property to evacuees.
9. Global Giving has a dedicated Irma page.
10. For the Caribbean, you can donate money to the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency
Instructions on how to do so here: http://www.cdema.org/emergency_assistance_fund.pdf
Newsweek verifies that is the correct link here: http://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-damage-how-help-caribbean-recover-irma-662483
11. Donate blood to the Red Cross; find your local location here:
Blood is needed in places like Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Antigua and Barbuda.
12. ConPRmetidos (a think tank) is raising money for Puerto Rico
13. OxFam has a dedicated Irma/Jose fund, earmarked for the Caribbean
14. Food for the Poor is raising money for Haiti
15. Team Rubicon is on the ground in Texas, and monitoring Irma/Jose.
Donation link here: https://teamrubiconusa.org/donate/
16. Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies is already working on Harvey, and needs donations for Irma too
Link to main page here: http://www.portlight.org/home
17. Unicef USA has a dedicated Irma fund
18. The American University of Antigua has a dedicated Irma fund for Barbuda.
Donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/aua-barbuda-relief-fund
19. OneBlood is a local Florida-based organization asking for blood donations
Link to info here: https://www.oneblood.org/donate-now/
20. LifeSouth is also seeking blood donations:
Link here: http://lifesouth.org
Some tips: please read this page. I received a lot of Qs during Harvey about physical donations. Monetary donations are best, here’s why: https://www.cidi.org/how-disaster-relief-works/guidelines-for-giving/#.WbVuC6OZN0t
Always check where you’re donating w/ Charity Navigator first: https://www.charitynavigator.org